October 23, 2020
In October of 1980, a group of people met in a neighbourhood elementary school and held their first worship service as Riverbend United Church. Forty years later, here we are. I bet they never dreamed of a day when we would be communicating through invisible channels that convey written words instantly, or staying at home to worship by something strange called “YouTube.”
The Anniversary Committee has a whole host of events and projects lined up to help us celebrate this 40th year of our life as a church. Naturally, these plans are on hold until next year. Still, this Sunday we will offer a “Mini Anniversary” celebration in our worship service. Then after worship this Sunday, we’ll hold a Virtual Coffee and Fellowship on Zoom.
Will you join us this Sunday at 10:30, either in the room (under safety protocol) or at home (if you are among our vulnerable folks)?
Click here for the live worship on YouTube at 10:30 Sunday.
Click here for the Virtual Coffee and Zoom Fellowship following worship on Sunday.
Also we would also appreciate your feedback. Please take a few minutes (less than 5 minutes) and fill out this RUC Worship Survey of 8 questions. The survey is anonymous. (Once you fill it out on a device or computer, a different device must be used for another person of your household.) Thank you for your feedback and suggestions as we develop new ways to worship and be church together.
Please see the Announcements below, and peace in these days,
- Children’s Ministry: Children’s Ministry lesson (October 25, 2020) Parents, there will be a Children’s Time in worship this Sunday right after the Opening Hymn.
- Fall Book Study: begins October 28th at 7:00 p.m. on Zoom. Barbara Brown Taylor wrote a book about how to find the gifts of difficult days such as these. It’s called Learning to Walk in the Dark. We’ll discuss it (and enjoy connection) via Zoom on Wednesday evenings at 7:00 p.m. beginning October 28th (note date change). Please order your own copy for delivery from Amazon or Indigo or let Valerie know if you want her to order for you. Let her know if you are joining so she can include you in the details that are to follow.
- Isaac’s Honey sales: Isaac’s Honey is still available. To place your order please complete this Honey orders form, delivery is available.
- FINAL WEEK – Mask fundraiser & stock blowout! To celebrate the success of this fundraiser, any sales placed before October 31st will have 100% of the proceeds donated to RUC. Your discount will also now be 50%, making each mask no more than $6 a piece! Watch for the new Halloween themed masks at an even better price! Ensure you enter the code RUC2020 to receive this special pricing. View the masks available for purchase at michalko-making.myshopify.com. For this week only, local delivery will be available within the greater Edmonton area for any order greater than $20. Local pickup will still be available at the church for those that prefer that option or don’t meet the $20 threshold.
- Marriage Encounter Weekend: November 6 (evening) to November 8th at the Providence Renewal Centre. This weekend includes presentations by mentoring couples and focuses on a simple but powerful, effective and non-confrontational communication technique. Check out www.eame.ca for more details and to register. Deadline for registration is Friday, October 24th.
- Christmas Outreach – As in previous years, the Outreach Committee is planning to assist approximately 20 people who are in difficult housing situations. Please click here to see how you can help: RUC Outreach Christmas 2020.