May 29, 2020
This Sunday our out-going Board Chair Matthew Schoenhardt pulls out all the stops for our online Pentecost service of worship. Pentecost is the day we celebrate the fire of the Holy Spirit coming upon the followers of Jesus in tongues of fire and the church is born. Matthew takes our online worship to a new level! Our thanks to Paula Roberts and her talented husband Jamie Kidd, and the choir, for the extra gift of the special hymns. Please click here to share in this special worship. Here is what Matthew has to say about the service:
“This Sunday at Pentecost we celebrate the founding of the Church. No longer do the Apostles cower in fear, but boldly go out preaching to the festival crowds. The response? They jeered Peter for early morning drinking! Being filled with the Spirit will cause bewilderment to onlookers. The sermon asks questions like:
- What does it mean to be called to be the Church?
- Why are Protestants so good at drinking, waging war and making money?
- Why does Matthew set the Church on fire during Children’s time?
If that doesn’t entice you, we have an online version of a traditional service, complete with a full 16 member choir singing not one but two hymns.”
Please see the Announcements below, and have a Spirit-filled weekend!
NOTES & ANNOUNCEMENTS
- This Week’s Zoom Connection and Conversation is Wednesday at 3:00 p.m. All are welcome. Please contact the church office if you would like to be part of our Zoom groups.
- Sunday, June 7 at 10:30 join us live on Zoom for Communion, followed by a Congregational Meeting to elect our Official Board.
- Graduate recognition: Please contact Valerie at email@example.com if you are or have a Grad in your family. As their faith community, we want to honour this threshold in our graduates’ lives.
- Are you wondering about Re-opening RUC? A task team is working on a plan and your input is welcome. Please give it to Matthew Schoenhardt or Valerie Oden.
- Father’s Day Bissell Lunch In the past, Riverbend United Church has taken on the responsibility of preparing and servicing a Father’s Day lunch at the Bissell Centre. This year we are still doing so, but in a COVID-19 format. We are allowed to finance and deliver purchased, wrapped designated foods. No volunteer hours or duties are required. Please consider making a financial donation this year one of three ways:
- mail a cheque to the church,
- call the office at 780.430.7275 if you would like us to pick up your donation, or
- send us your donation by e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please designate your donation to the Father’s Day Lunch.
- Thank you so much from your Outreach Committee. For further information please contact Judi Cook at 780.435.0838 or by email at email@example.com or Erin James at 780.987.4702.