January 22, 2020
Click here for this week’s worship service, available from 10:30 a.m. Sunday onward. You can simply worship by watching the service, or you can log into YouTube to participate in “live chat” (by typing) with others during church time at 10:30 Sunday morning.
In a week when we saw the US begin a new chapter with its deep challenges ahead, the cancellation of the pipeline as pledged with its economic repercussions, and the winds raging extraordinarily in Edmonton bringing power outages and trees toppling, I’m guessing we’re all a little tired of “big news,” perhaps wondering “what is this world coming to?”
We’ve been here before, during the horrific world wars, when humanity across the globe grew bone weary of its situation.
These are days for a balanced perspective. One that weighs cost with goodness, change with stability, the present with the future we leave our children. And while most of us are not public leaders making decisions, we are all impacting the web of connection every moment with how we are being – within our own hearts and with others.
In this Sunday’s worship service we explore two call stories, the prophet Jeremiah and the fishermen beside the Sea of Galilee. I wonder how they weighed the effect of their response on their lives and the lives of others? How are we being called all the time, as human beings made in the image of the divine? And how are we responding, in the little moments of life? I hope you will join us for worship.
In our prayers this week, we give thanks for three of our church members whose lives on earth have been completed, and we remember their families. (Please note: by current Alberta regulations, only immediate family may attend the planned services, but they will be live-streamed for the congregation and the public.)
Marilyn Ens passed just after sunset on Wednesday, January 20. We remember her husband Jake, their daughter Christine Ens and son-in-law Marv Severson and grandchildren Ben and Emily. Marilyn loved watching her family be involved in leadership in the church, especially her grandchildren as they served on the church’s staff with our young people. She also looked forward to hearing the Ensemble play in worship, when her family shared in making music together. Jake and Marilyn have been married 65 years and have shared a beautiful partnership of mutual love and care. We are invited to keep Jake and family in our hearts.
Brent Skinner passed on January 9 and we will celebrate his life with a family service tomorrow. Brent is known to many of us for his column in our church newsletter, “View from the Rear Pew.” We remember his wife Audrey and their children Alan, George and Katy and their families in our prayers. To watch Brent’s Memorial Service Saturday, January 23 at 2:00 p.m., click this link. Brent’s obituary is found here. Please no flowers; in lieu, memorial donations may be made to Riverbend United Church or the Kokopelli Choir.
Elaine Mekechuk passed on December 29th. She and her late husband John worshipped at RUC for many years until health prevented it. We remember their three children Darryl, Bryan, and Joy and their families in our hearts. We will celebrate Elaine’s life on Wednesday, January 27 at 2:00 p.m. in a private family service. To share in the service on YouTube, click this link. You can find her obituary here. Memorial donations may be made to Riverbend United Church or the Alzheimer’s Association.
We remember Sheila Haywood in St. Joseph’s struggling with COVID.
We give thanks that Marg Morley’s mother Vi Moore is asymptomatic and is looking forward to resuming normal interactions in her care home today.
Other News & Announcements
- This week’s Children’s Ministry Lesson (January 24, 2021)
- The RUC Youth Group will be meeting via Zoom this coming Saturday, January 23rd at 7:00 p.m. Please click here to join Youth Zoom meeting.
- Would you like to serve as Lay Reader for our worship? You can either meet Valerie at the church to record it or you can record from home and upload it. We would love to have you! No experience necessary. Please call Valerie at 780.983.1238.
- Grocery Gift Cards will be available from January 28th to 31st and February 25th to 28th. Please text Doug Michalko at 587.982.3703 to coordinate a time for the socially distant hand off. Denominations of $25, $50 and $100 are available. Pick up address is 4337 Riverbend Road NW, just two blocks from the church. When you arrive please pull up in front of the garage, text 587.982.3703 and either Doug or Kristen will come out to your vehicle. All grocery card sales generate income for the Church.
- RUC Zoom Connection is now held on Thursdays at 3:00 p.m. All are welcome for fellowship. Click here for the link.
- Outreach Committee News Thanks to the many people who made generous donations to our Christmas campaign allowing us to bring gifts to residents of Our Place and Inner/Way Buffalo Home. Permanent and short-term residents received new linens, toiletries, socks and of course chocolate, and we donated a microwave, a kettle and a casserole dish to the Our Place kitchen. Your donations were truly appreciated.